In April 2022, IMRG conducted a survey of 300 UK retailers in order to establish their opinions on click and collect, and locker services. Are they a good choice for the future, and are retailers utilizing the benefits they may have to offer?
Some of the benefits of click and collect or locker services include being more sustainable, as they require less emissions from delivery vans; saving money for retailers, as they don’t need to pay to ship as far; and providing an alternative convenient option for customers.
The first question the retailers were asked, was what their opinion of click and collect or locker services was. 43% said they should be investing in better services whilst 25% wanted to introduce it in the future. This makes a total of 68% of respondents saying they want to invest further in click and collect in some way. However, 20% said they don’t offer it and don’t plan to, whilst 14% want to prioritize home delivery.
What is your opinion of click and collect or locker services?
When splitting this data into multichannel and online only retailers the most significant observation is that almost three times as many multichannel retailers than online-only want to invest in click and collect. However, online-only retailers want to introduce click and collect four-fold compared to multichannel. Over five times as many online only retailers than multichannel, want to prioritize home delivery.
We can conclude from these results that the majority of retailers want to invest in their click and collect or locker service, or set one up. It also appears that more multichannel retailers want to invest in a better service, whilst online-only want to introduce it in the future. Online-only retailers are also more likely not to offer click and collect or prioritize their home delivery.